Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery
You have an important role in your recovery after your total joint replacement. You will see a physiotherapist at the hospital after your surgery to teach you exercises and how to move. It is important that you do the exercises given to you by your care team and walk every day. Remaining active is an important part of getting better after your joint replacement surgery.
Hip replacement surgery
You should not need outpatient physiotherapy after your total hip replacement. Your surgeon or physiotherapist will decide if you need physiotherapy after your hip replacement surgery. If you need physiotherapy, you will be given a referral before you are discharged from the hospital or at your follow-up appointment.
Knee replacement surgery
If you had knee replacement surgery, your first outpatient physiotherapy appointment should be within one week of your surgery. You and the physiotherapist will set goals and will decide how many times you need to go to physiotherapy. You may attend individual or group therapy sessions.
Physiotherapy is offered at both hospitals and clinics in the community. Your care team will talk to you about which option is best for you and your recovery.
You need to book your outpatient physiotherapy before your surgery date.
- If you choose to receive your physiotherapy at one of our Unity Health Toronto outpatient clinics, your care team will work with you to pre-book your physiotherapy appointment before your surgery date.
- If you choose to receive your physiotherapy at a hospital outpatient clinic outside of the Unity Health Toronto network, your care team will work with you to pre-book your physiotherapy appointment before your surgery date.
- If you choose to receive your physiotherapy at a clinic in the community, you can choose the option that is best for you from a list of available physiotherapy clinics (see map below).
Finding outpatient physiotherapy
A member of your care team will help you pick a location for your outpatient physiotherapy appointment. This will happen at your pre-admission appointment. The team will talk to you about your options:
- Unity Health Toronto outpatient clinics
At Unity Health Toronto, we are pleased to offer state-of-the-art facilities to provide customized care after your joint replacement surgery. Our team of exceptional clinicians offer patient and family partnered care and a supportive environment to help you heal after your joint replacement surgery.
If you had knee or hip replacement surgery at St. Joseph’s Health Centre or St. Michael’s Hospital, you can receive physiotherapy at one of Unity Health Toronto’s outpatient clinics:
St. Joseph’s Health Centre
30 The Queensway, Toronto
(Parking is available)
3276 St. Clair Ave. E., Toronto
(Near Warden Subway Station at Warden Ave. and St. Clair Ave. East; lots of parking)
Providence’s admission hotline: 416-285-3744
These outpatient clinics are part of Unity Health Toronto. This means your progress can be followed by our care team. We will work together to give you a pre-booked physiotherapy appointment before your surgery date so you can plan ahead.
You are welcome to choose other hospital-based outpatient clinics if you prefer. Your care team can discuss other options, or you can refer to the map below.
- Community and Hospital Physiotherapy Clinics
There are a number of clinics available in the community. You can search the map below for available clinics and hospitals near you.
- Erie St. Clair (Bright’s Grove, Chatham, Petrolia, Sarnia, Tecumseh, Tilbury, Windsor)
- South West (Owen Sound, St. Thomas)
- Waterloo Wellington (Cambridge, Kitchener)
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant (Hamilton, St. Catharines, Welland)
- Central West (Brampton, Orangeville)
- Mississauga Halton (Georgetown, Milton, Mississauga, Oakville)
- Toronto Central (Toronto, Scarborough)
- Central (Alliston, Etobicoke, Markham, Newmarket, North York, Thornhill, Uxbridge, Vaughan)
- Central East (Ajax, Bowmanville, Campbellford, Lindsay, Oshawa, Peterborough, Pickering, Port Perry, Whitby)
- South East (Kingston)
- Champlain (Ottawa, Orleans)
- North Simcoe Muskoka (Barrie, Huntsville, Innisfil)
- North East (Sudbury, Val Caron)
- North West (Thunder Bay)
For your physiotherapist:
The hip and knee bundled care program at Unity Health Toronto-SJHC site is a model that provides a single payment for an episode of care across multiple settings and providers.
With bundled care:
- Care is integrated to create seamless transitions and ease a patient’s move from hospital to home.
- Providers are accountable for quality outcomes.
Fiscal year 2019-20:
Fiscal year 2020-21:
- Provider package for total hip arthroplasty
- Provider package for total knee arthroplasty
- Provider package for total shoulder arthroplasty
When submitting your packages to St. Michael’s Hospital, please include the completed invoice, patient discharge summary and a copy of the original referral so we can promptly process your payment.
If you are inquiring about the status of your invoice, please contact BundledCare@smh.ca.
Wheel Trans Information:
Last updated June 16, 2021