Feedback & Patient Experience
Unity Health is committed to the best care experiences, created together. Listening to the voices of our patients/families is central to achieving this vision.
We want to hear from you and we invite you to share your experience of our care and services. Feedback in the form of compliments, complaints, comments and suggestions helps us to understand what we are doing well and what opportunities we have to improve.
We are committed to listening learning and improving.
- Share a Compliment. Hearing positive feedback from patients and families means a great deal to staff, physicians and volunteers. We encourage you to share your appreciation for your care team and the staff in our support services. You can submit a compliment by contacting the Patient Relations office or using the Feedback Form below.
- Raise a Concern. If you have a concern we encourage you to first speak with your care team or the manager/supervisor of the area where you have the concern. They are in the best position to address your issue in a timely manner.
If your concern is still not resolved following this you may contact Patient Relations Office by telephone or complete the Feedback Form. Patient Relations staff will acknowledge your feedback within one to two business days.
At Unity Health we encourage open communication with your care team. If you are a patient or the family of a patient who is currently receiving care as an inpatient or one of our clinics, the best way to address your concerns is to speak with your nurse, doctor or other care provider. In most cases they will be able to address your concerns.
If you need further help, ask to speak with the manager, supervisor or after-hours supervisor of the unit or department. If your concern is still not resolved following this, contact the Patient Relations office. Patient Relations is committed to addressing your concerns in a supportive and timely manner.
Patient Relations provides a supportive, safe and respectful space for you share your concerns. We will:
- Listen to understand your experience
- Assist you in communicating with your care team
- Help you understand how the hospital works.
- Provide clear information about the complaint process
- Help to resolve your concerns in partnership with leaders in the organization
- Share your compliments and suggestions with the care team
- Patient Relations will contact you within one to two business days to acknowledge your concerns, discuss your experience and next steps.
- We will review your concerns with the health care team or appropriate leader to better understand what occurred.
- We and/or leadership will respond to your concerns and share any improvements with you.
Timelines: Most concerns are addressed within 30 days. If it will take longer than this we will update you throughout this process.
Note: If feedback is submitted on behalf of a patient, Patient Relations will need consent of the patient or substitute decision maker to proceed.
Patients/Families/Visitors can provide feedback to the Unity Health Toronto Patient Relations Office (which includes St. Joseph’s Health Centre, St. Michael’s Hospital and Providence Healthcare) by phone or by letter/email. Our hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Please note: In person meetings are by appointment only.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 416-864-5215
- Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Site Specific Mailing Address
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre: 30 The Queensway, Toronto, ON M6R 1B5
- St. Michael’s Hospital: 30 Bond St., Toronto, ON, M5B 1W8
- Providence Healthcare: 3276 St. Clair Ave. E., Toronto, ON M1L 1W1
The Patient Relations office will do our best to find a satisfactory resolution to your concerns. However, if you are not satisfied with the resolution of your concern through this process you may contact the Office of the Patient Ombudsman of Ontario at 416-597-0339 or visit www.patientombudsman.ca.
All patients/families are encouraged to nominate St. Michael’s staff for the Ella Ferris Culture of Leading Award: nominations are open between June 13 – August 25, 2023. The award recognizes an individual at St. Michael’s Hospital who consistently models their role to its fullest potential and through their efforts has a positive impact on the organization and those around them.
Please download and complete the nomination form.
Last updated January 26, 2024