Based on the rate of community transmission of COVID-19, we have reduced the presence of Essential Care Partners at our three sites of Unity Health Toronto to help keep our patients, staff and community safe.
Patients coming in to the Emergency Department cannot have a visitor accompany them unless the patient:
- Is critically ill, is a trauma patient and or is at end of life patients, regardless of COVID status
- Has a significant developmental or intellectual disability, cognitive impairment or unable to effectively communicate
- Is under the age of 18
- Is frail or elderly, requiring physical and or psychological support
- Is experiencing an early pregnancy loss
- Is experiencing a mental health crisis
Depending on which unit the patient you are visiting is being moved to, you may not be able to stay with them. This will depend on the unit and the patient’s condition. The team will assist you in understanding the criteria for different inpatient areas while you are in the Emergency Department with your loved one.
Everyone who enters our emergency departments is screened at the door. Visitors who are not approved to visit will be asked to leave by our screening team.